The YED event was held at Chongzheng Primary school where over 35 schools participated in a series of fun and educational activities. The event was graced by Minister for the Environment and Water Resources, Mr Masagos Zulkifli, who engaged both school leaders and students on the important issue of food waste management. Minister Masagos also participated in the Love Your Food Activity, in which guests and students were invited to finish the food on their plates to symbolise their commitment to Zero Waste.
Love Your Food Experiential Trail
A highlight of YED 2017 was the interactive five-station 'Love Your Food Experiential Trail' that promoted greater awareness of how food waste can be managed through a closed-loop food waste management system. Through the five stations of the Trail, students learnt the following:
- Growing food station: The hard work and resources that go into growing food.
- Buying and storing food station: The importance of buying only what one needs and storing food properly so that it does not go to waste.
- Ordering food station: Ordering or taking only what one can finish.
- Donating food station: Donating excess food to those in need.
- Recycling food waste station: Using a food waste digester to turn food waste into compost, which can be used to grow food.